Yosemite Flying Site Information
Yosemite National Park has granted permission to YHGA to conduct Hang Gliding activity from Glacier Point. Currently this is the only launch site with in the park boundries. Flights from Glacier Point can only take place when a current qualified Yosemite Hang gliding monitor is present. Please see the list of qualified monitors and Flight Calendar.
- Currently, Paragliding and BASE jumping are not allowed within the park.
- Tandem flights are not allowed.
- The Glider Set up area is in front of the concession stand.
- Launch times are restricted to the hours between 7:00am and 9:00am. All pilots must be on the ground by 10:00am. Pilots are encouraged to arrive before 7:00am and set up their gliders. Set up time can be as early as 6:00am. Pilots arriving late will only be allowed to fly at the monitors discretion. Pilots must have their gliders set up and inspected by the monitor prior to the start of the launch sequence for all pilots.
- Gliders will be inspected for safety. If a monitor finds a potential safety problem, he will not allow the pilot to fly that glider. Wheels are greatly discouraged. Wheeled gliders tend to roll off of the steep launch during hook in with or without the pilot. The Landing Zone is high grass offering no advantage for a "wheeled" landing. Please follow the link here for more information about the landing zones.
- Landing conditions are predominantly "No wind" landings. The approach should be from the middle of the meadow with final glide to the appropriate end of the meadow for the LZ conditions. Ask the Monitor if you are unsure which end of LZ to use.
Pilot Requirements for Glacier Point Site
Current USHPA Hang IV (Advanced) rating required. You must carry this rating card with you. No photo copies, buddy vouchers, or "Gee! I left it in my camp site!" excuses. If you forget to bring your card, you will not be able to fly this site. No Exceptions!
All pilots must check in with the site monitor upon arrival at Glacier Point. It is requested that all pilots arrive for check in and set up by 7:00am. This allows adequate time for the set up, check in, pre-flight procedures. Pilots who arrive late may be turned down to fly. The monitor must perform all required pre-flight tasks prior to the launch sequence.
All foreign Pilots with an equivalent advanced rating must also have a USHPA card. A temporary membership will be made available to the foreign pilots who qualify. All pilots will need to sign the USHPA waiver.
All pilots will need to complete a registration form with the monitor on site. This form will remain on site for the season. In addition to registration, each pilot will be required to sign the YHGA Sign in log for each flight. A site fee donation of $5 will be collected for each flight.
Membership in the Yosemite Hang Gliding Association is optional. The cost for membership is $5 (Not included with site fee). Benefits of membership includes a news letter at the beginning of the Yosemite Hang Gliding season that will contain monitor news and stories, site changes and news about special weekends or Yosemite events; and the financial support of one of the most important flying sites in the country.
T-shirts will also be available from the monitors on site at a cost of $15.00.